the hardest part about blogging…

Posted On November 21, 2010

Filed under Home Decor, Projects, ribbon, wood

Comments Dropped 2 responses

…No, it’s actually not knowing that my two loyal readers are my mom and sister and that the only reason they check the blog is because the second I post things I immediately call them up and tell them to do it.  No, as I was saying, the hardest part about blogging is coming up with good titles for my projects.  I’m not too clever.  I’m sure I would be able to come up with some good ones if I waited a while and thought about it.  But I can’t help myself; once I finish something I rush to take pictures to add to the blog.  So here is my new, nameless project.

I was thinking of calling it a wreath-bow-plaque-thingy, but I didn’t think that was catchy enough. 

So a quick run down of what I did…I got a small plaque from Joann’s…I belive it is 7×5.  I also picked up that small wooded wreath and the ribbon (with all the ribbon I have, I never seem to have what I need).  I spray painted the plaque white, used sand paper to slightly distress the edges.  I then hot glued the ribbon and wreath on.  Made the bow and hot glued that on as well.  I like it!  It looks like a present.  Perfect for the holiday season!

And, as always, and extreme close up.

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s blog…And I actually know the title already: Crafting with mom!

Advertisements

one last boo…

I started this over a week ago, but got side tracked when the baby and I both got sick.  Now that we’re better I had time to finish, even though I finished it today–halloween!  But it’s never too late, right?  Right. 

I picked up wooden “BOO” letters from Joann’s craft store as well as halloween themed scrapbook paper and black paint. 

First I painted the letters black.  I painted the sides, a small bit in the front since the letters had a beveled front edge, and the backs.  Even though you don’t see the backs, I painted them because I can picture my dad telling me his mother would say something like, “you wear underwear even though people don’t see that.”

Now if you make something like this, please please please, don’t be like me…be patient and wait until the paint completely dries before the next step.  I couldn’t control myself and put on the mod podge on the front before the paint was dry so if you look closely, especially on the orange O, you can see black paint smeared on the front of the paper.  Because I didn’t want to start over, I convinced myself that it looked okay and gave it a certain effect that worked.  Note to self: next time let dry overnight.

I picked out the decorative paper that I wanted to use and roughly traced out the letters then cut them out.  It doesn’t have to be perfect.  Then I applied mod podge to the letter fronts and put the decorative paper on.  Using a credit card, I smoothed out the paper and let dry. 

You’ll notice that I didn’t cut out the openings in the B.  After the mod podge dried I used my razor and cut them out.  You can do it either way and next time I’ll probably just cut it out before hand but I was worried the holes wouldn’t be centered.  Once dry I applied more mod podge to the top of the paper.  Let sit overnight to dry completely.  I used a sanding block to distress the edges a little; I also hit the side of the paper, which is why it’s okay if your paper is not perfect as you cut it out.

I wasn’t sure how to display the letters, but then I came across this post where the letters are tied together and hanging, so that’s what I did.  I used ribbon to tie the letters together to hang. 

Above is the back and below is the front.

Here is the finished product.